310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
In the sturdy was to quantify the impact of ultrasound (US) in the diagnosis and general management of acute appendicitis in children. Retrospective review of children assessed for acute abdominal pain in the Emergency Department (ED). Out of 327 patients, 145 (44.4 %) were examined also with US. A total of 154 patients underwent surgery, of which 67 (43.6 %) after US scan and 87 (56.4 %) with no US. Differences in surgical timing and procedure, histologic findings and length of stay in the two groups were analyzed. In the US group the time gap between first examinations in ED to surgical intervention almost halved; operative time was shorter and total length of stay reduced. In conclusions, our study confirms the highly positive value of US evaluation in the initial assessment of abdominal pain in children.
1. Becker T., Kharbanda A., Bachur R. Atypical clinical features of pediatric appendicitis. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2007;14(2):124-129. https://doi.org/10.1197/j.aem.2006.08.009
2. Chandrasegaram M. D., Rothwell L. A., Miller R. J. Pathologies of the appendix: a 10-year review of 4670 appendicectomy specimens. ANZ J. Surg. 2012;82(11):844-847. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2012.06185.x
3. Seetahal S. A., Bolorunduro O. B., Sookdeo T. C., Oyetunji T. A., Greene W. R. [et al.] Negative appendectomy: a 10-year review of a nationally representative sample. Am. J. Surg. 2011;201(4):433-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2010.10.009
4. Doria A. S., Moineddin R., Kellenberger C. J., Epelman M., Beyene J. [et al.] US or CT for Diagnosis of Appendicitis in Children and Adults? A Meta-Analysis. Radiology. 2006;241(1):83-94. https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2411050913
5. Larson D., Rader S., Forman H., Fenton L., Informing parents about CT radiation exposure in children: it’s OK to tell them. Am. J. Roentgenol. 2007;189(2):271-275. https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.2248
6. Marin J., Lewiss R. Point-of-Care Ultrasonography by Pediatric Emergency Medicine Physicians. Pediatrics. 2015;135(4):1113-1122. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-0343
7. Russell W. S., Schuh A. M., Hill J. G., Hebra A., Cina R. A. [et al.] Clinical practice guidelines for pediatric appendicitis evaluation can decrease computed tomography utilization while maintaining diagnostic accuracy. Pediatr. Emerg. Care. 2013;29(5):568-573. https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0b013e31828e5718
8. Bundy D., Byerley J., Liles A., Perrin E. M., Katznelson J., Rice H. E. Does this child have appendicitis? JAMA. 2007;25;298(4):438-451. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.298.4.438
9. Kharbanda A., Stevenson M., Macias C., Sinclair K., Dudley N. C. [et al.] Interrater reliability of clinical findings in children with possible appendicitis. Pediatrics. 2012;129(4):695-700. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2011-2037
10. Elikashvili I., Tay E., Tsung J. The effect of point-of-care ultrasonography on emergency department length of stay and computed tomography utilization in children with suspected appendicitis. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2014;21(2):163-170. https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12319
11. Sivitz A., Cohen S., Tejani C. Evaluation of Acute Appendicitis by Pediatric Emergency Physician Sonography. Ann. Emerg. Med. 2014;64(4):358-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2014.03.028
12. Zielke A., Hasse C., Sitter H., Kisker O., Rothmund M. Surgical ultrasound in suspected acute appendicitis. Surg. Endosc. 2007;11(4):362-365.
13. Pearce M., Salotti J., Little M., McHugh K., Lee C. [et al.] Radiation exposure from CT scans in childhood and subsequent risk of leukaemia and brain tumours: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2012;380(9840):499- 505. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60815-0
14. Mittal M. K., Dayan P. S., Macias C. G., Bachur R. G., Bennett J. [et al.] Performance of ultrasound in the diagnosis of appendicitis in children in a multicenter cohort. Acad. Emerg. Med. 2013;20(7):697-702. https://doi.org/10.1111/acem.12161
15. Sanchez T. R., Corwin M. T., Davoodian A., Stein-Wexler R. Sonography of Abdominal Pain in Children: Appendicitis and Its Common Mimics. J. Ultrasound Med. 2016;35(3):627-635. https://doi.org/10.7863/ultra.15.04047
Keywords: acute appendicitis, ultrasound, early diagnosis, assessment, Emergency Department