310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
Bleeding in the postpartum period poses a threat to the woman’s life. Vaginal hematomas of 10.1±3.6 cm in the size can be asymptomatic at the onset, which may cause underestimation of the total blood loss in women with postpartum hemorrhage due to a variety of other competing causes. The use of analgesia in labor hinders timely diagnosis of postpartum hematomas of vagina, perineum or defects in hemostasis in the area of episiotomy stitches or suturing of soft tissue ruptures in the birth canal. The present study investigated 120 women with varicose veins of the lower extremities, their median age being 24.2±5.12, the gestational age at delivery – 38.20±1.09 weeks. In order to timely diagnose postpartum hematomas in the vagina, the perineum or hemostasis defects in the area of episiotomy stitches or suturing of soft tissue ruptures in the birth canal, 2 hours after the labor women underwent transperineal ultrasound study of the vagina (Ultrasound Scanner PHILLIPS HD-11). Vaginal hematomas were detected in 31 (25.8 %) women, and only 10 (8 %) women had damage to the mucous layer of the vaginal wall, while in 21 (17 %) women this was not the case. None of the women revealed any complaint typical of patients with hematomas.
1. Aylamazyan E. K., Kulakov V. I., Radzinskiy V. E., Savelyeva G. M. Obstetrics: National Guide. M.: «GEOTAR – Media»; 2007. 1200 p.
2. Obstetrics and gynecology. Differential diagnostics from A to Z / Ed. Tony Hollingworth. M.: «GEOTAR – Media»; 2010. 400 p.
3. Artyimuk N. V. Varicose veins of the small pelvis in women. Russian journal of obstetrician-gynecologist. 2007;6:74-77.
4. Babadzhanova G. S., Habibullaeva M. F. Diagnostics and treatment of small pelvis vein disease in pregnant women. Woman’s health. 2009;4(40):28-30.
5. Bogachev V. Yu. Small pelvis vein disease. Consilium medicum. 2006;1(1):20-23.
6. Ilyina I. Yu. Varicose veins of the small pelvis in women as a manifestation of connective tissue dysplasia. Russian journal of obstetrician-gynecologist. 2009;2:39-42.
7. Clinical recommendations. Obstetrics and Gynecology. – 4th edition, revised / Ed. V.N. Serov, G.T. Sukhikh. M.: «GEOTAR – Media»; 2014. P. 499-514.
8. Mozes V. G. Varicose veins of the small pelvis in women through various life stages: Abstract, Thesis of Cand. of Med. Sc. Tomsk; 2006. 39 p.
9. Sukhikh G. T., Serov V. N., Savelieva G. M. et al. Prevention and therapy of massive blood loss in obstetrics. Medical technology FS№ 2010/141, of 29/04/2010.
10. Daliakopoulos S. Gigantic retroperitoneal hematoma as a complication of anticoagulation therapy with heparin in therapeutic doses: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2008;2:162.
11. WHO recommendations for prevention and treatment of postpartum hemorrage, 2012.
Keywords: postpartum hemorrhage, massive blood loss, vaginal hematoma