310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
Male fertility is based on complex intracellular signaling during spermatogenesis. Effect of Interleukin-1 (IL-1) and its homologues on spermatogenesis is actively studied. Nevertheless, its role in idiopathic infertility has not been sufficiently studied, especially in the phase of hypospermatogenesis. Aim: evaluation of the expression of IL-1α, IL-1β and IL-1ra in human seminiferous tubules in idiopathic infertility. A retrospective study involved men (n=54) who complained of childlessness in a marriage for 2 years with the diagnosis of idiopathic infertility, established after a physical, medico-genetic, biochemical (hormone) and cytological (spermogram) analysis. The biopsy specimens obtained from the operation, as well as the autopsy material of men aged 22–35 years (n=10), were studied using the immunohistochemical method (antibodies: IL-1α, IL-1β and IL-1ra). At hypo-spermatogenesis, the maturation block, and Sertoli-cell syndrome, Leydig cells are marked to IL-1α, IL-1β labeling with a decrease in IL-1ra. Sertoli cells and germ cells show weak responses to IL-1α, IL-1β and their absence on IL- 1ra. Thus, the different levels of expression of IL-1α, IL-1β and IL-1ra indicate that these cytokines control spermatogenesis and are one of the triggers in the formation of male infertility form-phases.
1. Kul’chenko N. G., Demyashkin G. A. Morphological changes in testicular tissue in infertility. Andrologiya i genitalnaya khirurgiya. – Andrology and Genital Surgery. 2016;17(3):38-42. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.17650/2070-9781-2016-17-3-38-42
2. Elheija M. Abu. Distinct Expression of Interleukin-1α, Interleukin-1β, and Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist in Testicular Tissues and Cells from Human Biopsies with Normal and Abnormal Histology. Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research. 2011;31(4):401-408. https:// doi.org/10.1089/jir.2010.0059
3. Demyashkin G. A. Apoptosis in seminiferous tubules of human in normal and in idiopathic infertility. Tsitologia. – Cytology. 2018;60(3):208-218. (In Russ.).
4. Demyashkin G. A. Proliferation and apoptosis of male germ cells in the seminiferous epithelium in normal and nonobstructive azoospermia. Krymsky zhurnal eksperimentalnoy i klinicheskoy meditsiny. – Crimean Journal of Experimental and Clinical Medicine. 2016;2:19-32. (In Russ.)].
5. Huleihel M., Abuelhija M., Lunenfeld E. In vitro culture of testicular germ cells: regulatory factors and limitations. Growth Factors. 2007;25(4):236-251. https://doi.org/10.1080/08977190701783400
6. Huleihel M., Lunenfeld E., Blindman A., Prinsloo I., Potashnik G. Over expression of interleukin-1a, interleukin- 1b and interleukin-1 receptor antagonist in testicular tissues from sexually immature mice as compared to adult mice. Eur. Cytokine Netw. 2003;14(1):27-33.
7. Ibtisham F., Wu J., Xiao M., An L., Banker Z., Nawab A., Zhao Y., Li G. Progress and future prospect of in vitro spermatogenesis. Oncotarget. 2017;8(39):66709-66727.
8. Serebrennikova S., Seminskу I., Semenov N., Guzovskaya E. Interleukin-1, interleukin-10 in regulation of inflammatory process. Sibirsky meditsinsky zhurnal. – Siberian Medical Journal. 2012;115(8):5-7. (In Russ.).
9. Aafjes J. H., van der Vijver J. C., Schenck P. E. Value of a testicular biopsy rating for prognosis in oligozoospermia. Br. Med. J. 1978;1:289-290.
Keywords: spermatogenesis, interleukins, hypospermatogenesis, male infertility