310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
The aim of study was to determine the value of Doppler ultrasonography in the diagnosis of acute scrotal pain in the different stages of acute scrotum.
The case notes of 344 boys with an acute scrotum aged from 1st day of life to 17 years old were reviewed in the Department of Pediatric Surgery of StSMU (Russia). The size and ultrasonography structure of the testis and its epididymis, as well as the testicular blood flow, were assessed.
The sensitivity of ultrasonography findings for testicular torsion without scrotal edema was relatively low (50%), but with scrotal edema – increased to 83.3%. The specificity of sonography for testicular torsion in the presence or absence of edema of the scrotum did not change significantly (83.2%). The characteristic ultrasonography evidence of torsion of a testicular appendage was an increase in size of the epididymis and its heterogeneous echostructure. The sensitivity of these signs was high (83.3%) in all boys. The sonography signs of acute epididymitis are an enlarged epididymis and its homogeneity. The sensitivity (83.3%) and specificity (87.5%) of the findings did not depend on the presence or absence of scrotal edema. Operative exploration was performed on 240 patients. Surgical findings were: testicular torsion – 61, torsion of a testicular appendage – 164, acute epididymitis – 20.
Thus, the sensitivity and specificity of physical examination signs of the acute scrotum in the absence of scrotal edema in children are higher than the ultrasonography findings, but significantly drops after the onset of scrotal edema.
1. Drlík M., Kočvara R. Torsion of spermatic cord in children: a review. J Pediatr Urol. 2013 Jun;9(3):259-266. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2012.05.016. Epub 2012. Jul 2
2. Minaev S. V, Bolotov Iu. N., Pavliuk N. N. The use of ultrasonography in the acute scrotum edema in children. Khirurgiia (Mosk) 2008; (4): 55-58.
3. Minaev S. V., Bolotov Iu. N., Albert A. E., Prislegina D. A., Butko M. V. The torsion of testis in 1 year old infant. Meditsinskii Vestnik Severnogo Kavkaza. – Medical News of North Caucasus. 2011; 3(23): 112-114.
4. Jaison A., Mitra B., Cameron P. and Sengupta S. Use of ultrasound and surgery in adults with acute scrotal pain. ANZ Journal of Surgery. 2011; 81: 366–370. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-2197.2010.05535.x
5. Tiemstra J. D., Kapoor S. Evaluation of scrotal masses. Am Fam Physician. 2008; 78(10): 1165-1170.
6. Yagil Y., Naroditsky I., Milhem J. et al. Role of Doppler ultrasonography in the triage of acute scrotum in the emergency department. J Ultrasound Med. 2010; 29: 11-21.
7. Kalisvaart J. F., Broecker B., Cerwinka W. H., Cuda S., Elmore J., Kaye J. et al. Pediatric chronic orchalgia. J Pediatr Urol. 2012 Aug;8(4):421-425. doi: 10.1016/j. jpurol.2011.09.002. Epub 2011 Nov 4
8. Schalamon J., Ainoedhofer H., Schleef .J et al. Management of acute scrotum in children the impact of Doppler ultrasound. J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41: 1377-1380.
9. Kalfa N., Veyrac C., Lopez M. et al. Multicenter assessment of ultrasound of the spermatic cord in children with acute scrotum. J Urol. 2007; 177(1): 297-301
10. Frauscher F., Klauser A., Radmayr C. Ultrasonographic assessment of the scrotum. Lancet. 2001; 3; 357(9257): 721-722
11. Varga J., Zivkovic D., Grebeldinger S. et al. Acute scrotal pain in children-ten years’ experience. Urol Int. 2007; 78(1): 73-77.
12. Sorensen M. D., Galansky S. H., Striegl A. M. et al. Perinatal extravaginal torsion of the testis in the first month of life is a salvageable event. Urology. 2003; 62(1): 132-134.
13. Murphy F. L., Fletcher L., Pease P. Early scrotal exploration in all cases is the investigation and intervention of choice in the acute paediatric scrotum. Pediatr Surg Int. 2006; 22(5): 413-416. Epub 2006 Apr 7
14. Kraft K. H., Lambert S. M., Snyder H. M. 3rd, Canning D. A. Pyocele of the scrotum in the pediatric patient. J Pediatr Urol. 2012; Oct;8(5): 504-508. doi: 10.1016/j. jpurol.2011.10.005. Epub 2011 Nov 22
Keywords: scrotal pain, testicular torsion, diagnosis management, children