310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
Gossypiboma is a rare complication of surgical interventions that can have severe medical and legal consequences. We report the clinical case of a boy who was 4 years old and was operated on at 1.5 months old for atrial septal defect and partial abnormal drainage of the right pulmonary veins into the right atrium. After 3 years, a mass was found in the projection of the basal segments of the right lung. An X-ray showed signs of calcification. Thoracoscopy was performed followed by conversion to open surgery and removal of the gossypiboma with a fibrous capsule of 3×3.5×3 cm. An examination 6 months after surgery showed no complaints, and growth and development were normal according to age. The diagnosis of gossypiboma should be included when determining a diagnosis in all cases where there is a history of surgery and nonspecific clinical and diagnostic manifestations.
1. Belenkaya O. I., Yudin A. L. Variants of computed tomography imaging of Gossipiboma. Diagnosticheskaya I interventsionnaya radiologiya. 2012;6(3):13-18.
2. Hameed A., Naeem A., Azhar M., Fatimi S. Intrathoracic gossypiboma. BMJ Case Report. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2013-201814
3. Kanj A., Soubani A., Tabaja H., Zein S., Fares M. [et al.] Migrating gossypiboma mimicking aspergilloma twenty years after mediastinal surgery. Respiratory Medicine
Case Reports. 2018;25:184-186. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rmcr.2018.08.013
4. Yilmaz Durmaz D., Yilmaz B. K., Yildiz O., Bas Y. A Rare Cause of Chronic Cough: Intrathoracic Gossypiboma. Iranian
Journal of Radiology. 2014;11(2):e13933. https://doi.org/10.5812/iranjradiol.13933
5. Kumar A., Paswan S., Prashad R., Kumari R., Kumar B. Intrapericardial gossypiboma: Rare cause of intrathoracic mass. International Journal of Surgery Case Reports. 2018;47:75-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijscr.2018.04.024
6. Nemati M. H. Mediastinal gossypiboma simulating a malignant tumour. Interactive Cardio Vascular and Thoracic Surgery. 2012;15(4):783-785. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivs260
7. Erol C., Koplay M., Kanat F., Paksoy Y. Case Series: Pericardial gossypibomas detected after cardiovascular surgery: Imaging findings. Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging. 2012;22(4):276. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-3026.111479
8. Gilberto S., Thais Caldara M., Edson N., Denis S., Altair Silva C. [et al.] Forty-year-old intrathoracic gossypiboma after cardiac valve surgery. Circulation. 2009;119(24):3142-3143. https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.109.849794
9. Karabulut N., Herek D., Kıroğlu Y. CT features of intrathoracic gossypiboma (textiloma). Diagn. Interv. Radiol. 2011;17:122–124. https://doi.org/10.4261/1305-3825.DIR.3120-09.0
10. Gayatri P., Bright T. A. Pictorial Review of the Many Faces of Gossypiboma – Observations in 6 Cases. Polish Journal of Radiology. 2017;82:418-421. https://doi.org/10.12659/pjr.9007459
11. Rachna M., Beatrice T., Andetta R. H. Intrathoracic Gossypiboma. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2007;189(2):W90-W91. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.07.2250
Keywords: gossypiboma, pleural cavity, cardiac surgery, children