310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
The relevance of the study is determined by the high prevalence of back pain, which is due to discogenic pathology. The study aimed to study the quantitative characteristics and patterns of degenerative changes in the IVD of the lumbosacral spine in the age aspect. The visualization characteristic of the IVD of the lumbosacral spine based on the quantitative data in the age aspect is determined with the help of computer analysis. The statistical analysis revealed a moderate inverse correlation between the age of patients and the degree of degenerative changes in the IVD from L1–L2 to L4–L5 and a direct statistical average relationship between the degree of degenerative changes in all the IVD of the lumbosacral spine except for the disk L5–S1. The statistical connection was not found when comparing the degree of degenerative changes in this disc with the age of patients and degenerative changes in other lumbar discs of the lumbosacral spine, which was explained by the biomechanical features caused the maximum load on this disc.
1. Tavakoli J., Costi J. J. Development of a rapid matrix digestion technique for ultrastructural analysis of elastic fibers in the intervertebral disc. J. Mech. Behav. Biomed. Mater. 2017;71:175183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm. 2017.03.014
2. Michopoulou S., Costaridou L., Panagiotopoulos E., Speller R., Panayiotakis G. [et al.] Atlas-based Segmentation of Degenerated Lumbar Intervertebral Disc from MR Images of the Spine. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 2009;56:22252231.https://doi.org/10.1109/TBME.2009.2019765
3. Han Z., Wei B., Mercado A., Leung S., Li S. Spine-GAN:Semantic segmentation of multiple spinal structures. Med. Image Anal. 2018;50:2335. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.media.2018.08.005
4. Alomari R. S., Corso J. J., Chaudhary V., Dhillon G. Computer-aided Diagnosis of Lumbar Disc Pathology from Clinical Lower Spine MRI. Int. J. Comput. Assist. Radiol. Surg.2010;5:287293. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11548-009-0396-9
5. Michopoulou S., Costaridou L., Vlychou M., Speller R.,Todd-Pokropek A. Texture-based Quantification of Lumbar Intervertebral Disc Degeneration from Conventional T2-weighted MRI. ActaRadiologica. 2011;52:9198. https://doi.org/10.1258/ar.2010.100166
6. Komleva N. E., Daurov S. K., Bolshakov A. A., Glazkov V. P., Bakutkin V. V. [et al.] Computer program for analyzing digital magnetic resonance tomography of lumbosacral part of spine. Journal of New Medical Technologies.2012;19(1):192195.
7. Komleva N. E., Rebrova O. Yu., Daurov S. K., Maryanovskky A. A. The method of determining the degrees of degenerative changes in intervertebral discs at computer analysis of digital magnetic and resonance tomography. Journal of New Medical Technologies. 2012;19(1):195197.
8. Tarukado K., Ono T., Tono O., Tanaka H., Ikuta K. [et al.] Does Modic Change Progresss With Age? SPINE. 2017;42(23):18051809. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0000000000002254
9. Danilov A. N., Komleva N. E., Yakovlev N. M. Computer analysis of spinal magnetic resonance tomograms in occupational medicine. Russian Journal of Occupational Health and Industrial Ecology. 2017;9:5960.
10. Guo R., Yang X., Zhong Y., Lai Q., Gao T. [et al.] Correlations between Modic change and degeneration in 3-complex of the lower lumbar spine: A retrospective study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97(38):e12496.
https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000012496 Available at:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6160214/Accessed May 24, 2019.
11. Jiang S., Li W. Biomechanical study of proximal adjacent segment degeneration after posterior lumbar interbody fusion and fixation: a finite element analysis. J. Orthop. Surg. Res. 2019;14(1):135. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-019-1150-9
12. Isaikin A. I., Ivanova M. A., Kavelina A. V., Chernenko O. A. Lumbar discogenic pain. Neurology, neuropsychiatry, psychosomatics. 2016;8(3):8894. https://doi.org/10.14412/2074-2711-2016-3-88-94
Keywords: intervertebral disk, computer analysis, degenerative changes