310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
The effect of therapy with bisphosphonates on the parameters of central pressure and arterial stiffness during ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) was evaluated. The open, prospective comparative study included 64 women aged 56 to 78 years with a verified diagnosis of coronary heart desease (CHD) and postmenopausal osteoporosis. Patients were prescribed Alendronate 70 mg per week. The follow-up was 12 months. Daily monitoring of central blood pressure and parameters of arterial stiffness was performed on the apparatus BPLabv. 3.2 prior to the initiation of antiresorptive therapy against baseline CHD therapy. Dynamically ABPM was performed 6 and 12 months after the beginning of treatment. In 6 months a significant decrease in the maximum daily pulse wave velocity (PWV) was detected: the maximum per day at 0.8 mm (p=0.04), mean Alx HR. After 12 months of treatment with bisphosphonates (BP), there was a decrease in the level of SBPao, mean BPao and pulse aortic pressure. The PWV max decreased by 1.3 m/s from the baseline, decrease of ASI, AASI, Alx, mean Alx HR was registered.
BP therapy in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis and with CHD is accompanied by a decrease in central pressure after 12 months treatment and a decrease in PWV max after 6 and 12 months treatment.
1. Lee S. N. Associations between osteoporosis and significant coronary artery disease in asymptomatic postmenopausal women. Atherosclerosis. 2016;252-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2016.07.258
2. Kilasonia L., Shaburishvili T., Kopaliani M., Lagvilagva L., Rukhatze T. The relationship of osteoporosis and atherosclerosis in progress. Osteoporosis and osteopathy. 2016;19(2):75-76. https://doi.org/10.14341/osteo2016275-76
3. Um M. J., Cho E. A., Jung H. Combination Therapy of Raloxifene and Alendronate for Treatment of Osteoporosis in Elderly Women. J. Menopausal Med. 2017;23(1):56-62. https://doi.org/10.6118/jmm.2017.23.1.56
4. Luckman S. P., Hughes D. E., Coxon F. P., Graham R., Russell G., Rogers M. J. Nitrogen-Containing Biphosphonates Inhibit the Mevalonate Pathway and Prevent Post-Translational Prenylation of GTP-Binding Proteins, Including Ras. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 2005;20(7):1265-1274.
5. Kranenburg G., Bartstra J. W., Weijmans M., de Jong P. A., Mali W. P., Verhaar H. J., Visseren F. L. J., Spiering W. Bisphosphonates for cardiovascular risk reduction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Atherosclerosis. 2016;252:106-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2016.06.039
6. Adami S., Braga V., Guidi G., Gatti D., Gerardi D., Fracassi E. Chronic intravenous aminobisphosphonate therapy increases high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and decreases low-density lipoprotein cholesterol. J. Bone Miner. Res. 2000;15(3):599-604. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.3.599
7. Wu L., Zhu L., Shi W. H., Zhang J., Ma D., Yu. B. Zoledronate inhibits the proliferation, adhesion and migration of vascular smooth muscle cells. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2009;602(1):124-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.10.043
8. Kawahara T., Nishikawa M., Kawahara C., Inazu T., Sakai K., Suzuki G. Atorvastatin, etidronate, or both in patients at high risk for atherosclerotic aortic plaques: a randomized, controlled trial. Circulation. 2013;127(23):2327-2335. https://doi.org/10.1161/circulationaha.113.001534
9. Pereira T., Maldonado J., Pereira L., Conde J. Aortic Stiffness is an Independent Predictor of Stroke in Hypertensive Patients. Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia. 2013;100(5):437-443. https://doi.org/10.5935/abc.20130079
10. Luckish A., Cernes R., Boaz M., Gavish D., Matas Z., Fux A., Shargorodsky M. Effect of long-term treatment with risedronate on arterial compliance in osteoporotic patients with cardiovascular risk. Bone. 2008;43(2):279-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2008.03.030
11. Toussaint N. D., Lau K. K., Strauss B. J. Effect of alendronate on vascular calcification in CKD stages 3 and 4: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2010;56(1):57-68. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ajkd.2009.12.039
12. Clinical recommendations. Osteoporosis. Moscow, 2016. (In Russ.).
13. Ikehira H., Furuichi Y., Kinjo M., Yamamoto Y., Aoki T. Multiple extra-bone accumulation of technetium-99m-HMDP. J. Nucl. Med. Technol. 1999;27(1):41-42.
14. Connelly D. Osteoporosis: moving beyond. The Pharmaceutical Journal. 2016;297. https://doi.org/10.1211/pj.2016.20201978
15. Ylitalo R., Kalliovalkama J., Wu X., Kankaanranta H., Salenius J.-P. [et al.]. Accumulation of bisphosphonates in human artery and their effects on human and rat arterial function in vitro. Pharmacol Toxicol. 1998;83(3):125-131. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0773.1998.tb01455.x
16. Barinova I. V., Blankova Z. N., Aslanyan N. S., Ageev F. T., Ryabceva O. Yu., Kochetov A. G., Masenko V. P. The possibility of the influence of bisphophonate therapy, as well as their combination with statins on aortic stiffness parameters in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporosis and osteopathy. 2014;3:15-21. (in Russ.).
Keywords: osteoporosis, CHD, arterial stiffness, central pressure, bisphosphonates