310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
Questionnaire of 120 sports medicine physicians is to ascertain sports medicine doctors’ views on athlete healthcare issues. Insufficient medical coverage provided for athletes (25.0 % of respondents underlined its insufficiency, 43.4 % respondents pointed out some lacks in it); ex-athlete regular medical check-up problems (49.2 % of respondents considered them not to be worked out properly), sports medicalization (67.5 % of respondents noted athletes’ multiple drug intake initiated by their coaches), insufficient information about drug side effect on athlete health (12.5 % of physicians stated that athletes are instructed properly). These issues are considered to be interdisciplinary and cannot have a single valued solution. They have to be broadly discussed by specialists.
1. Conrad P., Mackie T., Mehrotra A. Estimating the costs of medicalization. Social Science & Medicine. 2010;70:1943-1947.
2. Fedotova I. V., Statsenko M. E., Vershinin E. G. Social research disadaptation predicators in ex-athletes. Medical sociology. 2013;1(22):23-26.
3. Kukes V. G., Gorodetskiy V. V. Sports Pharmacology: achievements, problems, prospects. Sports medicine: science and practice. 2010;1(1):12-15.
4. Landyr A. P., Achkasov E. E., Dobrovolskiy O. B., Runenko S. D., Sultanova O. A. Definition of training zones of heart rate for athletes. Sports medicine: science and practice. 2013;1:40-45.
5. Metzl J., Herzig R. Medicalisation in the 21st century: introduction. Lancet. 2007;369:697-698.
6. Puzin S. N., Achkasov E. E., Mashkovskiy E. V., Bogova O. T. Professional diseases and disabilities in professional athletes. Sociomedical expertising and rehabilitation. 2012;3:3-5.
7. Sadler J. Z., Jotterand F., Lee S. C., Inrig S. Can medicalization be good? Situating medicalization within bioethics. Theory Med. Bioethics. 2009;30(6):11-25.
8. Venevcheva U. L. Sports medicine: science and practice. 2014;2:83-86.
9. Vershinin E. G. The problem of medicamentous accompaniment of athletes. Sports medicalization issues. Volgograd scientific medical journal. 2014;1(41):13-15.
Keywords: sports medicine, athlete healthcare, sports medicalization, athletes’ awareness, questionnaire