310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 865 2352511, +7 865 2353229.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
The problem of pain syndrome in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) is very urgent now. The aim of this study was to study the prevalence of various pain syndromes in patients with MS, to assess the effectiveness of pathogenetic therapy. We examined 25 patients with remitting MS. The numeric rating scale (NRS) of pain, the neuropathic pain questionnaire (DN-4) were used. For the purpose of pathogenetic therapy of neuropathic pain, gabapentin was prescribed. The results of the study allowed us to conclude that there is a high incidence of neuropathic pain in patients with MS, which corresponds to a high intensity according to NRS. Gabapentin therapy reduces the frequency and intensity of neuropathic pain, improving the quality of life of patients with MS.
1. Robinson R. R., Dietz A. K., Maroof A. M., Asmis R., Forsthuber T. G. The role of glial-neuronal metabolic cooperation in modulating progression of multiple sclerosis and neuropathic pain. Immunotherapy. 2019;11(2):129-147. https://doi.org/10.2217/imt-2018-0153
2. Young J., Amatya B., Galea M. P., Khan F. Chronic pain in multiple sclerosis: a 10-year longitudinal study. Scand. J. Pain. 2017;16:198-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sjpain.2017.04.070
3. Karpov S. M., Padgigova Z. B., Karpov A. S., Vishlova I. A. Invoked visual potentials in the study of the visual analyzer in patients with diffuse sclerosis. Medical News of North Caucasus. 2015;10(2):155-159. https://doi.org/10.14300/mnnc.2015.10036
4. Seixas D., Foley P., Palace J., Lima D., Ramos I., Tracey I. Pain in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review of neuroimaging studies. Neuroimage Clin. 2014;5:322-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2014.06.014
5. Coret F., Perez-Miralles F. C., Gascon F., Alcalá C., Navarré A. [et al.]. Onset of secondary progressive multiple sclerosis is not influenced by current relapsing multiple sclerosis therapies. Mult. Scler. J. Exp. Transl. Clin. 2018;4(2):2055217318783347. https://doi.org/10.1177/2055217318783347
Keywords: multiple sclerosis, neuropathic pain, treatment