310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
Grigory Demyashkin; Elena Alexandrovna Shalamova; Leonid Leonidovich Borozdkin; Zelimkhan Sulimbekovich Tsentroev; Irina Vyacheslavovna Ivanova; Sergey Georgievich Ivashkevich; Margarita Gevandova;
Using the properties of suture material as an example, it was shown that silver nanoparticles improve its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. In this work, we studied the properties of insulating membranes modified with silver nanoparticles. Polylactide membranes (n=12) were implanted into the skull of rabbits, of which six were not modified (control group) and six were coated with colloidal silver nanoparticles (experimental group). In the control group, rabbits were injected penicillin intramuscularly. The response of the skull tissues was evaluated after 2 weeks by microscopic and immunohistochemical (CD3, CD15, CD30) methods. In the experimental group, compared with the control group, inflammation indicators were significantly lower (CD3: 6.5±3.1 % and 17.3±5.2 %, p=0.03; CD30:3.1±1.4 % and 14.1±3.6 %, p=0.01), the fibroplastic reaction was less pronounced with no signs of connective tissue capsule formation, and no infectious complications were detected. In the control group, signs of infection were found in the area of the postoperative wound (n=1). The use of colloidal silver as an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory coating for biodegradable membranes has potential, which requires further study.
1. Nazir M. A. Prevalence of periodontal disease, its association with systemic diseases and prevention. Internat. J. Health Sc. 2017;11(2):72-80.
2. Panagakos F., Scannapieco F. Periodontal inflammation: from gingivitis to systemic disease? Gingival Diseases – Their Aetiology, Prevention and Treatment. 2011. https://doi.org/10.5772/37923
3. Siaili M., Chatzopoulou D., Gillam D. An overview of periodontal regenerative procedures for the general dental practitioner. Saudi Dent. J. 2018;30(1):26-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sdentj.2017.11.001
4. Saleem M., Pisani F., Zahid F. M. [et al.]. Adjunctive plateletrich plasma (PRP) in infrabony egenerative treatment: a systematic review and RCT’s meta-analysis. Stem. Cells International. 2018;2018:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9594235
5. Devi R. Clinical evaluation of insulin like growth factor-I and vascular endothelial growth factor with alloplastic bone graft material in the management of human two wall intra-osseous defects. J. Сlin. Diagn. Res. 2016. https://doi.org/10.7860/jcdr/2016/21333.8476
6. Jung R. E., Kokovic V., Jurisic M., Yaman D., Subramani K., Weber F. E. Guided bone regeneration with a synthetic biodegradable membrane: a comparative study in dogs. Clin. Oral Implants Res. 2010;22(8):802-807. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2010.02068.x
7. Ivanov S. Yu., Bonartsev A. P., Gazhva Yu. V. [et al.]. Development and preclinical studies of insulating membranes based on poly-3-hydroxybutyrate-co-3-hydroxyvalerate for guided bone regeneration. Biomeditsinskaya khimiya. – Biomedical Chemistry. 2015;61(6):717-723. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.18097/PBMC20156106717
8. Mecuku I., Muraev A. A., Gazhva J. V., Ivashkevich S. G. Comparative characteristics of various types of membranes used for bone grafting and guided tissue regeneration in dentistry and maxillofacial surgery. Rossiyskii stomatologicheskii zhurnal. – Russian Journal of Dentistry. 2017;21(5):291-296. (In Russ.).
9. Durán N., Durán M., Jesus M. B. D., Seabra A. B., Fávaro W. J., Nakazato G. Silver nanoparticles: A new view on mechanistic aspects on antimicrobial activity. Nanomed. Nanotechnol. Biol. Med. 2016;12(3):789-799. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nano.2015.11.016
10. Wei L., Lu J., Xu H., Patel A., Chen Z.-S., Chen G. Silver nanoparticles: synthesis, properties, and therapeutic applications. Drug. Discovery Today. 2015;20(5):595-601. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drudis.2014.11.014
11. Chen S., Wang G., Wu T. [et al.]. Silver Nanoparticles/Ibuprofen-Loaded Poly(l-lactide) Fibrous Membrane: Anti-Infection and Anti-Adhesion Effects. Intern. J. Mol. Sci. 2014;15(8):14014-14025. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms150814014
12. Dabbs D. J. Diagnostic immunohistochemistry. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders, 2014. 13. Liu S., Zhao J., Ruan H., Wang W., Wu T. [et al.]. Antibacterial and anti-adhesion effects of the silver nanoparticles-loaded poly(L-lactide) fibrous membrane. Mater. Sci. Eng.: C. Mater. Biol. Appl. 2013;33(3):1176-1182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msec.2012.12.008
Keywords: guided bone regeneration, insulating membrane, polylactide, colloidal silver, silver nanoparticles