310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
Type I Diabetes mellitus (DM), or insulin-dependent diabetes, is the most common endocrine pathology among children and teenagers. The purpose of this study is to research the content of 1A melatonin receptor and antibodies to it in blood serum of children and teenagers. We examined 71 children and teenagers aged 1.9 to 17 years. We measured the content of 1A melatonin receptor and antibodies to it in hemolymph using an immunofluorescence assay test system (IFA). We found that the lowest levels of the 1A melatonin receptor were prevailing in children with a serious condition at the DM decompensation stage, median values were diagnosed in children in a state of moderate severity, and the maximum quantities are fixed in children against the background of the compensation of DM. The obtained data confirm the hypothesis about the possible involvement of the corpus pineale (epiphysis) in the pathogenesis of Type I Diabetes mellitus.
1. Peschke E. Melatonin, endocrine pancreas and diabetes. J. Pineal Res. 2008;44(1):26-40. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-079X.2007.00519.x
2. Contreras-Alcantara S., Baba K., Tosini G. Removal of melatonin receptor type 1 induces insulin resistance in the mouse. Obesity. 2010;18(9):1861-1863. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2010.24
3. Mulder H., Nagorny C. L. F., Lyssenko V., Groop L. Melatonin receptors in pancreatic islets: good morning to a novel type 2 diabetes gene. Diabet. 2009;52(7):1240- 1249. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-009-1359-y
4. Sartori C. Melatonin improves glucose homeostasis and endothelial vascular function in high-fat diet-fed insulin resistant mice. Endocrin. 2009;150(12):5311-5317. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2009-0425
5. Baturin V. A., Bykov Yu. V., Mamtseva G. I., Uglova T. А. Comparative analysis of antibodies to insulin receptors for children with type B insulin-dependent diabetes subject to the illness stage. Meditsinskii vestnik Severnogo Kavkaza. – Medical News of North Caucasus. 2016;11(1):80- 82. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.14300/mnnc.2016.11003
Keywords: insulin-dependent diabetes, melatonin receptors, auto-antibodies