310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
We investigated the metabolic disorders in rats with alloxan-induced diabetes and chronic alcoholic intoxication. Rats were divided into four groups: the first group was untreated controls, the second group was administered alloxan to induce diabetes, the third consumed ethanol for 2 months, and the fourth group consumed ethanol for 2 months and were injected with alloxan half way through this period. Plasma glucose concentrations in rats with both alcoholic intoxication and alloxaninduced diabetes were 22 % higher than in those with alloxan-induced diabetes alone. Plasma ALT activity was 1.7 and 2.2 times higher in rats in groups 3 and 4, respectively, than in control rats. Rats in group 4 showed a 30 % higher GR activity and 29 % and 20 % reductions in CAT and SOD activities in erythrocytes, respectively, versus controls. In addition, the concentration of GR in erythrocytes was a mean 31 % lower in rats in groups 2–4 than in controls. These data reveal more severe disruption of carbohydrate metabolism and a more severe imbalance in the antioxidant system in rats with diabetes mellitus if they have already been subjected to chronic alcohol intoxication.
1. Shulkin L. M., Kosenko N. A., Kosenko V. G., Ageev M. I., Shulkin M. Z. Clinical overview remission of alcohol dependence. Kubanskij nauchnyj medicinskij vestnik. – Kuban scientific medical journal. 2015;2:153-159.
2. Porodenko V. A., Korkhmazov V. Т., Travenko Е. N. Activity alcoholoxiding fermental systems of the heart, liver and kidney at the sharp poisoning with ethanol. Kubanskij nauchnyj medicinskij vestnik. – Kuban scientific medical journal. 2010;3-4:160-162.
3. Lelevich S. V. Functional state of glucose metabolism in rat liver under chronic alcohol intoxication. Biomeditsinskaya khimiya. – Biomedical Chemistry. 2009;55(6):723-733.
4. Sidorov P. I., Soloviev А. G., Novikova I. The form of alcohol use and diabetes mellitus course. Narkologiya. – Narcology. 2002;5:28-33.
5. Bortnikova A., Panova T. Attraction to ethanol in alcoholysed rats and glycemia level, expression of ketosis. Laboratornaya diagnostika. Vostochnaya Evropa. – Laboratory diagnostics. Eastern Europe. 2014;9(1):52-61.
6. Indutnyi А. V., Vysokogorsky V. Е., Indutnaya L. N. Characteristic manifestations of oxidative stress in alcohol abusers with diabetes mellitus type 2. Biomeditsinskaya khimiya. – Biomedical Chemistry. 2004;50(1):100-103.
7. Karpishchenko A. I. Handbook. Medical Laboratory Technology. Sankt-Petersburg: Intermedika, 2002.
8. Kostyuk V. A., Potapovich A. I., Kovaleva Zn. V. A simple and sensitive method of determination of superoxide dismutase activity based on the reaction of quercetin oxidation. Voprosy meditsinskoy khimii. – Problems of Medical Chemistry. 1990;2:88-91.
9. Agrawal A., Rathor R., Suryakumar G. Oxidative protein modification alters proteostasis under acute hypobaric hypoxia in skeletal muscles: a comprehensive in vivo study. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2017;22(3):429-443. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12192-017-0795-8
10. Olar L. E., Stefan R., Berce C., Ciobanu D., Papuc I. The fluorescence identification of advanced glycation end products in streptozotocin – induced diabetic rats’ plasma samples. Bulletin UASVM Veterinary Medicine. 2015;72(1):106-109. https://doi.org/10.15835/buasvmcn-vm:10995
11. Jafarova R. E. Comparative study of different models of alloxan-induced diabetes mellitus. Kazansky meditsinsky zhurnal. – Kazan medical journal. 2013;94(6):915-919.
12. Indutnyi А. V., Bykov D. E., Vysokogorsky V. Е. Manifestation and pathochemical preconditions of heart damage by combination of chronic alcohol intoxication with diabetes mellitus. Narkologiya. – Narcology. 2009;2:57-61.
13. Bykova N. I., Basov A. A., Melkonyan K. I., Alekseenko E. A., Popov K. A. [et al.] Non-invasive monitoring for local immune and antioxidant resistance in patients with ischemic heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Medical news of North Caucasus. 2016;11(2):147-149. https://doi.org/10.14300/mnnc.2016.11021
14. Bykov I. М., Basov A. A., Malyshko V. V., Dzhimak S. S., Fedosov S. R. [et al.] Dynamics of the pro-oxidant/antioxidant system parameters in wound discharge and plasma in experimental purulent wound during its technological liquid phase treatment. Bulletin of Experimental Biology and Medicine. 2017;163(2):268- 271. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10517-017-3781-3
15. Bykov I. M., Popov K. A., Tsymbalyuk I. Yu., Dzhimak S. S., Shashkov D. I. [et al.] The metabolic correction of the experimental alloxan diabetes by means of the antioxidant remedies. Voprosy pitaniya. – Problems of Nutrition. 2017;86(3):68-76.
16. Radaeva M. V., Vedunova M. V., Kontorshchikova C. N. The state of antioxidative and detoxicative systems in metabolic damage correction by low doses of ozone. Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University. N. I. Lobachevsky. – Vestnik of Lobachevsky University of Nizhni Novgorod. 2008;2:100-102.
17. Tsymbalyuk I. Y., Manuilov A. M., Popov K. A., Basov A. A. Metabolic correction of the ischemia-reperfusive injury with sodium dichloroacetate in vascular isolation of the liver in experiment. Novosti Khirurgii. 2017;25(5):447-453.
18. DiMarco T., Giulivi C. Current analytical methods for the detection of dityrosine, a biomarker of oxidative stress, in biological samples. Mass. Spectrom. Rev. 2007;26(1):108-120. https://doi.org/10.1002/mas.20109
Keywords: alloxan diabetes, alcohol, oxidative stress, antioxidant system