310 Mira Street, Stavropol, Russia, 355017
+7 8652 352524; +7 8652 353229.
+7 8652 352524.
The journal is included into The list of leading scientific periodicals.
The aim was to study the cerebroprotective properties of chrysin and chrysanthemum under conditions of focal cerebral ischemia. The study was conducted on 30 male Wistar rats weighing 250–300 g. Ischemic brain damage was reproduced by irreversible occlusion of the right middle cerebral artery. Mexidol (100 mg/kg, Moskhimpharmpreparaty, Russia) was chosen as a reference drug. The concentration of lactic and pyruvic acids was determined by an enzymatic colorimetric method using a standard set of reagents produced by NPF Arbis+ (St. Petersburg, Russia). To assess homocysteine content in the blood plasma a standard DiaSys reagent kit (Germany) was used. The degree of the brain hydration was determined by the method of drying. Zone of cerebral necrosis was assessed by triphenyltetrazolium method. The study showed that administration of chrysin and chrysanthemum decreases the activity of synthesis of lactate (7.94 % (p<0.05) and 12.83 % (p<0.05)), pyruvate (105.04 % (p<0.05) and 51.23 % (p<0.05)), homocysteine (13.96 % (p<0.05) and 26.75 % (p<0.05)), and also helps to reduce the severity of necrosis (86.6 % (p<0.05) and 39.45 % (p<0.05)) and cerebral edema (9.37 (p<0.05) and 11.68 % (p<0.05)), in comparison with the group of negative control. The studied compounds are superior to the reference drug in their effect on the pyruvate synthesis (37.47 % reduction by chrysin (p<0.05), 18.52 % – by chrysanthemum (p<0.05)) in comparison to the group of Mexidol. It should be noted that Mexidol (a decrease of 83.4 %; p<0.05) and chrysin (a decrease of 86.6 % (p<0.05) almost equally contribute to a decrease in the severity of brain tissue necrosis in comparison with the negative control group. Thus, a further in-depth study of the cerebroprotective properties of chrysin and chrysanthemum seems to be promising
1. Neal B., MacMahon S., Chapman N. Effects of ACE inhibitors, calcium antagonists, and other blood-pressurelowering drugs: results of prospectively designed overviews of randomised trials. Blood Pressure Lowering Treatment Trialists’ Collaboration. Lancet. 2000;356(9246):1955- 1964.
2. Dahlöf B. Left ventricular hypertrophy and angiotensin II antagonists. Am. J. Hypertens. 2001;14(2):174-182.
3. Yusuf S., Sleight P., Pogue J., Bosch J., Davies R., Dagenais G. Effects of an angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor, ramipril, on cardiovascular events in high-risk patients: the Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators. N. Engl. J. Med. 2000;342(3):145-153.
4. Dahlöf B., Devereux R. B., de Faire U., Fyhrquist F., Hedner T. [et al.]. The Losartan Intervention For Endpoint reduction (LIFE) in Hypertension Study: rationale, design, and methods. Am. J. Hypertens. 1997;10(7 Pt 1):705-713.
5. Okin P. M., Roman M. J., Devereux R. B., Kligfield P. Electrocardiographic identification of increased left ventricular mass by simple voltageduration products. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1995;25(2):417-423.
6. Dahlolof В., Devereux R., Kjeldsen S. Е., Julius S., Beevers G. [et al.]. LIFE Study Group. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality in the Losartan Intervention
For Endpoint reduction in hypertension study (LIFE): a randomised study against atenolol. Lancet. 2002;359(9311):1003-1008.
7. Gusev E. I. The problem of stroke in Russia. Zhurn. nevrologii i psihiatrii (prilozhenie «Insul’t»). – Zhurn. Neurology and Psychiatry (Attachment «Stroke»). 2003;9:3-7. (In Russ.).
8. Skvorcova V. I. The problem of cerebral stroke in the Russian Federation. Ros. med. vesti. – Ros. honey. To lead. 2005;3:4-9. (In Russ.).
9. Vinogradova T. E., Chernjavskij A. M., Vinogradov S. P., Karas’kov A. M. Epidemiology and surgical prevention of ischemic stroke in major cities of Siberia and the Far East. Bjul. SO RAMN. – Bul. WITH RAMS. 2006;2:139-146. (In Russ.)
10. Steptoe A., Willemsen G. The influence of low job control on ambulatory blood pressure and perceived stress over the working day in men and women from the Whitehall II cohort. J. Hypertens. 2004;22:915-920.
11. Vereshhagina N. V., Piradova M. A., Suslina Z. A. Insul’t. Principy diagnostiki, lechenija i profilaktiki. Moskva, 2002. (In Russ.).
12. Voronkov A. V., Pozdnjakov D. I., Mamleev A. V. Sovremennye problem nauki i obrazovanija. – Modern problems of science and education. 2015;5. Available at: http://www.scienceeducation.ru/ru/article/view?id=22406 . Accessed February 20, 2019. (In Russ.).
13. Voronkov A. V., Pozdnyakov D. I. Endothelotropic activity of 4-hydroxy-3,5-di-tret-butylcinnamic acid in the conditions of experimental cerebral ischemia. Research Result: Pharmacol. Clin. Pharmacol. 2018;4(2):1-10. https://doi.org/10.3897/rrpharmacology.4.26519
14. Voronkov A. V., Abaev V. T., Oganesjan Je. T., Pozdnjakov D. I. Some aspects of the cerebroprotective activity of 4-hydroxy-3,5-di-tertbutyl cinnamic acid in ischemic brain damage in the experiment. Medicinskii Vestnik Severnogo Kavkaza. – Medical News of North Caucasus. 2018;13(1.1):90-93. (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.14300/mnnc.2018.13025
15. Evtushenko S. K., Filimonov D. A., Zinkovich I. I. The role of homocysteine in the development of ischemic strokes in young people (a review of literature and personal observations). Mezhdunarodnyj nevrologicheskij zhurnal. – International Neurological Journal. 2013;7(61):19-30. (In Russ.).
16. Champe P., Harvey R. Biochemistry. Lippincott’s Illustrated Reviews 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008.
17. Mondal N. K., Behera J., Kelly K. E., George A. K., Tyagi P. K., Tyagi N. Tetrahydrocurcumin epigenetically mitigates mitochondrial dysfunction in brain vasculature during ischemic stroke. Neurochemistry International. 2019;122:120-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuint.2018.11.015
18. Lei J., Sun Z., Lyu L., Randall G., Scalzetti E. [et al.]. Mechanical interventricular dependency supports hemodynamics in tako-tsubo cardiomyopathy. J. Thorac. Dis. 2018;10(5):3027-3038.
Keywords: ischemia, ischemic stroke, flavonoids, chrysin, chrysanthemine